Sunday, August 2, 2015

When I grow up, I want to be the Russell Street School!

So after driving for > 10 hours yesterday, I wasn't particularly in the mood to write a blogpost, so today I sat down with my computer and decided to power through and see what this "Russell Street School" stuff that our Edtech 537 professor had been posting about was all about.

My reaction
I mean, where do I start? What's incredible about what this school of tech-oriented Kiwis is is not only how they're finding ways to incorporate technology and publishing their writing into their schoolwork, but how the entire school community seems to be embracing it. I'm sure there are one or two teachers that aren't sold on blogging, or not challenging their students (or themselves) to really innovate with this platform, but by the looks of this website, I think that the definite standard for the school culture makes those who don't do it into the weirdos (not the other way around). I'm so impressed with what I read, and I want to point out a couple of things that I thought about the site:

  • The organization of blogs, sites, links, etc is clear, easy-to-understand, and "packageable", or put into nice little pieces that anyone could quickly go onto and do some research and find out what they need to know. No "mousetrap" here—a user knows how to get where they're going quickly and easily.
  • Student voice is CLEARLY on display, and is CLEARLY a priority. Judging from what of the kids say, they seem to appreciate this, and so the good things they want to say not only serve as assessment and evidence for their teachers, but artifacts of PR value to the school. Brilliant marketing tool!
  • I obviously can't see lesson plans, so what things are consistently assigned isn't known to me, but I think that there are students who are doing writing that's not assigned, but because they like to write. As an English teacher, that is GOLD.
  • To me, text is less, and pictures/videos are more. Someone is explaining this to many of these kids and helping them find ways to make their material pop.



I'm just amazed by what I'm seeing from this Russell Street School, and I think the big takeaway is just that NOTHING is holding me back from implementing bits of this into my own teaching... Except myself!

11 comments:

  1. I also noticed the presence of multimedia, and not just typical text. I believe I read somewhere that Dr. MKB visited there and wonder if they have a connection to BSU or another institute that is on top of the current research about how we all learn best. I enjoyed reading your impressions, and value your self-honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cambria, I was on sabbatical back in the Winter of 2011 (their summer) to do a research project on the challenges facing and opportunities arising from their Virtual Learning Network for the Ministry of Education (see http://www.vln.school.nz/mod/file/download.php?file_guid=114023 for a copy of the final report). One of the ways that we were cutting costs while I was in the country is that I was also lecturing at various universities on the topics of virtual learning, blogging, generational differences, gaming in education, and design-based research (where I would often stay with one of the faculty members or the university would put me up somewhere). On a stop between working with the WelCom e-learning cluster and the TaraNet and VLN Primary clusters, I stopped in Palmerston North for a couple of days to speak at Massey University. My host was a faculty member in the Education (actually, he had risen to the level of the university administration at that stage), but his wife worked at Russell Street School - and given my background he felt that I just had to see the place. I am quite glad that he did, as I have incorporated it into each EDTECH537 class that I have taught, as well as different educational technology an technology integration courses I have taught at two other institutions.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for including RSS in your courses -- I think it's a perfect example of how transformative a given technology can be when implemented properly. RSS is very inspiring.

      Delete
    3. What a great addition to your trip down under. We students have greatly benefited from that experience, and are inspired to have that kind of community interaction. Thank you for the story!

      Delete
    4. Kurt, it was quite a surprise to me when I first visited (as those was four years ago), and they were still doing most of this - maybe even a bit more back then (as they used to have a student-created, monthly YouTube news show too).

      Cambria, it was an unexpected addition. I arrived early that day (as the museum I had hoped to stop in on my drive there was closed - and it was too early to visit the glow worms), so my host took me to the school his wife worked at because he thought it would interest me and also to kill time. :)

      Delete
  2. I also appreciated how clear student voice. It is clear to me that the students are very involved in their own learning. I was also amazed at how involved the students were in the blogging process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also appreciated how easy the site was to navigate, given the expansive number of contributors. With this degree of consistency, there had to be a top-down directive and a master plan. Good for them for creating such a wonderful product: it's both a powerful learning tool for students AND a brilliant showcase for their work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I think your post really captures the spirit of Russell Street. After looking at their blog, I get a real sense of what goes on in that school and it is indeed impressive. I agree that it is a brilliant marketing tool but I don't get a sense that is why the school is doing this. I think it is to give, as you say, the people within the school a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked how the blogs, sites, and links were organized as well. It was very user friendly. The students are very involved and I would like to get my students as involved as Russell Street School students. I am new to the blogging world so I will be taking baby steps but would love to be like Russell Street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,
    I agree with you that the whole school, from Principal, to teachers, to students and parents are all committed to blogging. I agree that student choice and voice are present, largely due to the individualization of each entry.

    I also liked the inclusion of Maori culture in the names of the classes and activities that were represented. These were not token inclusions, but rather authentic. I agree with you...there is nothing stopping us from using this model with students, except ourselves. Nice job with your post!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris,
    I agree with you that the whole school, from Principal, to teachers, to students and parents are all committed to blogging. I agree that student choice and voice are present, largely due to the individualization of each entry.

    I also liked the inclusion of Maori culture in the names of the classes and activities that were represented. These were not token inclusions, but rather authentic. I agree with you...there is nothing stopping us from using this model with students, except ourselves. Nice job with your post!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete