Saturday, August 1, 2015

Russell Street School Impressions

The Russell Street School has a lot going on!  I really like this school's use of the website as a total school hub.  There is a lot of communication shared with the parents, both on the main page of the website and each of the classroom pages.  It seems like some classroom pages were updated more frequently than others, and that may be due to the teachers' preferences.

In comparing this website to my own school's homepage, I am frustrated by the conformity that my district wants in school websites, all websites use the same layout, fonts and colors.  Yes, the Russell Street school website looks a little less "professional" than our school's, but it is welcoming and meets the needs of the parents.  Our school's is the same as all the others in the district and is updated rarely.  It makes me wonder if this is a factor of NZ vs US cultures?

What inspired me the most about the RSS website is the collaborative nature of teachers, parents and students.  Everything on the website encouraged parents to be a part of the process.  Even the principal's letter about bullying turned it back to parent involvement by providing a link that parents could visit to help their child (http://www.netsafe.org.nz/).  The blogroll on the right included links to each classroom's blog, which was used similarly to a classroom newsletter.  When I clicked on those, I had access to the student blogs as well.  I think that the student blogs were a great example of using a blog as a portfolio of learning.  I loved reading the reflections and the academic language in the student writings.  I also loved the photographs of student work.  I can see this being used similarly by teachers in my school.

3 comments:

  1. "Everything on the website encouraged parents to be a part of the process." I completely agree. And maybe I am biased because I am a parent, but this was absolutely one of my favorite things about Russell Street. Parental involvement enhances school community and student effectiveness and, in my experience, improves staff morale as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that this is good practice being taken into the digital age. School leaders who value, understand and try to involve all stakeholders in the community have always tried to do this. Share, connect and collaborate. By taking it into the digital age they are just using the tools to hand. I'm sure it seemed daunting to some initially but the end result is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yes, the Russell Street school website looks a little less "professional" than our school's, but it is welcoming and meets the needs of the parents."
    I think that's what I loved the most about Russell Street's website is that it wasn't professional and I could really get a good feel that the students were a part of the process in its creation. As a parent I enjoy the community feel of everyone taking part of the education process and many schools encourage parents to get involved but I loved seeing the children involved and taking part in something they can be proud of. Their names and work on their school website.

    ReplyDelete