Sunday, August 2, 2015

Russell Street School Impressions

For our assignment this week, Dr. Barbour had us “visit” Russell Street School’s website and their Google Site to take a look at how their elementary students and teachers were using blogging as an educational tool, and to then share about our impressions on a class blog. I viewed several blogs, from what appeared to be kindergarteners all the way up to maybe 5th grade age, to get an overall impression of how blogging is used.

I completely understand why we were given this task. The students at Russell Street School use blogging as an integral part of their learning curriculum, and as a result, we get to view authentic examples of what we are learning about in school.

The Little Einsteins blog (Kindergarten, I believe) was filled with an assortment of learning experiences and information for the families and students. I was really impressed at how well laid out the blog was, and how many resources were made available including academics and the arts. I read one post that encouraged parents and family members from around the world to leave comments because the students enjoyed receiving feedback. I could easily imagine the teacher reading all of the comments as a daily “read aloud”. Modeling is a huge part of teaching, and this class blog gives plenty of opportunities to model effective communication strategies, even as early as kindergarten.

Another blog that caught my eye was one from older students called Poutama. This blog was used by 3 different classes and included 90 participants. It was rich in text and images, as you would hope an upper elementary blog would be, but it had a community feel to it because the teacher interacted with the students on the blog. One thing that caught my eye was a discussion entry post called “What a Win” that was written to elicit critical thinking skills about an athlete’s mindset in a recent athletic game. I could see the connection to real world experiences, and not just something out of a textbook. Students were expected to share their opinions on the discussion questions, just as we did for one of our blog assignments.

In my 504 class (theories of educational technology), I researched and wrote about “Communities of Practice”, an emerging theory based upon the philosophy that learning occurs when groups of people are brought together by a common purpose, and in doing so, learn more effectively  as they interact with each other. This seemed to radiate through the blogging I viewed at Russell Street School, and is at the heart of how I hope my "blogging with students" experience to be.

5 comments:

  1. It is such a positive way to create a relationship with each of your students. Students being able to blog gives them a voice within the school and I think that it gives the opportunity for relationships to build that maybe wouldn't of existed otherwise. This school has a powerful tool and is inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never received any notifications for my post on this community blog so I apologize for not replying in a timely manner. I like what you said about the opportunity for relationships to build that maybe wouldn't exist otherwise. I agree with that statement. It's like anything else with our students. We have to give them multiple experiences in order for them to discover their strengths. We all have them!

      Delete
  2. Cambria, I really like your last sentence. The sense of community does radiate throughout the school. If I could be half as successful with blogging in my own classroom as Russell Street School is, I would still consider it a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned in the above reply to Catrina, I'm sorry I did not respond to this earlier, for some reason I did not receive any notifications that I had comments. Maybe I forgot to check something? I am not sure when Russell Street School started their blogging practice, but if feels as if it's been under way for a while. It's truly inspirational.

      Delete
  3. Cambria,

    I like how you brought some learning theory into this post. I agree that the students did create a "community of practice" in the case of blogging. Blogging is consistently present amongst the stakeholders of the school. I also was impressed with Poutama, which I think is a Maori name. I really enjoyed the videos of Maori dancing and culture. This was very authentic and natural. I also liked how there were obviously structured assignments, but students could fulfill them in ways that reflected their individual interests and talents. Russell Street is quite inspiring!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete