Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Impressions of the Russel Street School

I was so excited after I looked at this blog.  I was amazed at how in depth the blog was.  It was so well organized and developed.  I loved how easily accessible it was to each class blog as well as students blogs through their classroom blog.  This school blog gave me so many ideas that I would love to incorporate into my blogging as well as engaging my students into bloggers as well.  I would love it if my school district had something like this.  I like that it is all centralized in one location.  I think it would be amazing if my whole district had one and then each school had blog links that lead to teachers blogs and then student blogs if they had them.  

Blogging allows students to take pride and ownership of their work.  It also allows parents to see what is going on in the classroom as well as what the student is learning and how they are doing.  For teachers it is a way to let the students be creative.  

One thing I noticed on the student blogs was labeling.  I had not thought about this before, but what a great idea to organize work into specific categories.  This would be great for studying material, etc.  

I love that the room 9 blog focused on so many different things.  Student of the week, awards, recognition's, what is going on in the classroom, daily quotes and so much more.  This teacher did a great job setting up her blog to appeal to the students as well as parents.  I also like that she has the different subject areas as tabs on the top of the blog for links.  

Overall, I was very pleased with how this was all set up.  After viewing many different classroom and student blogs, I am excited to get my students blogging.  I have not decided completely how I want to tackle this task, but I am very excited to do so.  

I think this would be a great thing to do as a school.  My school does edcamps for PD every other week.  I would love to bring up the idea of blogging for a topic to discuss with my staff during this time.

3 comments:

  1. Kelly - I agree that labeling and tagging really helps keep the material organized and searchable. One of the things that can get overwhelming quickly with the blogging is the sheer amount of information that can be generated. Tags can help keep it all organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. I am an extremely OCD person so I love organization. I think that I need to start tagging my entries so that they stay organized in a way that makes sense to me.

      Delete
  2. Room 9 was impressive. It really showed me the potential of using a blog in class. Also it shows that technology supports good teaching practice. It doesn't replace it.

    ReplyDelete