Thursday, July 30, 2015

Russell Street School

Wow! I checked out the students blogs in Room 9.  It is so amazing how much the students are blogging, and at such a young age! I teach second grade, so seeing this really showed me what I can do with my students.
I absolutely love how the students are blogging about their goals and success strategies to reach their goals.  They are keeping track of their own progress for those goals.  This is also showing parents what they are doing in class and how they are being successful.
I also love how all of the rooms have their own names.  Dream Team! How cool is that?  It makes me want to come up for a name for my classroom.
Looking at this authentic setting for blogging has truly inspired me.  I know that I want my students blogging, but this showed me how much more I can do with my students.  Students can also use the blog to catch up on lessons that they missed.  They can watch videos and demonstrations posted by other students.  I can't wait to get my class blog set up!

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you in being amazed by these blogs! Are you going to try and set up a classroom blog this year? And if so, are you going to have students create their own blogs similar to Russell Street?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I really liked about the rooms having names is that it gives the kids a sense of community and belonging. That can be so valuable to help kids feel a sense of connection to their learning environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was amazed at what the younger classes of students were accomplishing with their blogs! Really cool stuff. I agree with Jeff on the importance of the class or team names to create a sense of community. I'm trying to get at least our 6th grade team on board with that this year! Reminds me of my good ole' middle school days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing better than when you get fired up as a teacher to go do things in class and I can tell this inspired you. Another classmate used the title inspiring and I have to agree. It makes me want to be better in my 5th grade class. We have a name "Quito" class but I want a subtitle name now too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also impressed by the active role students took tracking their own learning and progress. Quite inspirational!

    ReplyDelete