Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Inspriation from Russell Street School

After spending some time checking out the Russell Street School's blog, I am inspired!  Overall, I was impressed with how fully the entire school has embraced the culture of blogging and made it an integral part of the school structure. I enjoyed checking out various room's pages and was excited to see how they are set up differently and take different formats.  Being able to compare the way the primary grades use blogs vs. the way the upper grades uses blogs gave me so many great ideas to share with my colleagues!  I often find myself overly focused on how I can use various tools (blogs included) with my middle-school aged students that I forget to stop and think about how I can adapt the same tools to meet the needs of older and younger students.  I loved having this real-life model for inspiration!
I tried using blogs in my classroom last year and it didn't work out according to plan.  I've been trying to formulate a plan for blogging with my students that will be more successful this year and I think, after seeing these examples (especially the Room 12-14 site), I have a much more clear plan.  I love the idea of having one main class blog that either I can post to or students can post to, but having a blogroll of independent student blogs or portfolios linked on it.  I really like the idea of students having their own individual blogs; I think it's important for them to display their work to the real world; it encourages them to put their best face forward, so to speak, knowing that people other than just teachers and parents will not only see it, but may comment as well.  Thanks, Russell Street School, for the inspiration!

3 comments:

  1. I bet you will do great setting this all up this year. I too am looking forward to creating student blogs. I love how Russell Street School set everything up. It was so user friendly and easy to get anywhere. I am glad to hear their blogs inspired you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping it goes well. I had such lofty aspirations last year, but there was just SO MUCH to take in with it being my first year of 1:1 Chromebooks; I really hope that I can stick with a plan this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - I think you are at a huge competitive advantage by having the Chromebooks. Of course, I am biased because I live on mine, but I think that having the kids have devices in hand that they can use to stay connected will help make them naturals when it comes to blogging. I have no doubt you will create awesome learning opportunities for them!

    ReplyDelete