Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Russell Street Response

I am totally blown away and extremely excited after looking through the children's blogs. They have so much pride in their pages and it shows. I really enjoyed learning about their school activities, and what they enjoy doing. This was one of my favorites: http://serenaa2013.blogspot.co.nz/2015/06/kapa-haka.html
It's really inspirational that these young students use blogs appropriately, creatively and seem to take pride in their digital footprint. As a parent I would really enjoy seeing my child's writing and projects they create online. It's accessible and fun to look at.

As I start to brainstorm what I would like my blog to look like next year, these students begin to spark new ideas. I'm not sure I can manage every student having their own account and blog right away, but having the "Star Student" of the week post on our class blog could be a manageable option. That way every student would have an option to participate in the blog, but I wouldn't have to manage 20+ accounts each week. Slow and steady!

I can foresee districts having a school-wide blog, much like Russell Street and then requiring teachers to have their own. Our school district has changed their tune on websites, blogs, Wikisites to have access to parents but it changes far too often. Teachers aren't able to get the training they need, and parents have given up on a district wide communication tool. I'm looking forward to taking this idea to my administration and possibly starting a school-wide blog.

12 comments:

  1. I too was blown away. I loved reading each and every student blog. I too was looking at them for ideas for my own classroom. I love the idea of the star student post on a blog. I do star student already so that would be a great transition into using technology for it. I think that would be a great way to start a class blog. I think districts need to all come to a consensus on something like this. I believe it would be easier for parents, students as well as teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree. The ease of use with parents is key, or they won't use it! The star student thing may be something fun for kids and parents to see. Most kids get excited when they are on the internet in some form because they are "famous!"

      Delete
    2. A school wide blog would be great if it could stay updated. I'm from Boise as well and our communication within the site such as infinite campus has a lack of teacher participation, which is frustrating as a parent. Therefore a blog could be the answer to keeping things up to date within any school district.

      Delete
  2. My middle ground: I'm considering having all students (high schoolers) keep track of their class projects (like 2 months to make a robot) in a blog post every week or two, and I will just grab a select one or two each week, and kind of copy-paste it into my centralized classroom blog, so visitors can check in without being overwhelmed with content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your ideas! Even though robot making is WAY over my head. :) I like showing visitors student work without having to have everyone on a blog.

      Delete
  3. The Star Student is a brilliant idea! I just might steal that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the kids and parents like it as well!

      Delete
    2. I also like the star student idea!! I'm not a teacher but it gets me thinking about doing a blog with my son to help improve his writing skills!

      Delete
  4. The Star Student is a brilliant idea! I just might steal that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My younger daughter's third grade class created a model society where everyone had a "job" and earned classroom dollars for working that could then be spent for rewards (like a class popcorn and movie party). One of the "jobs" was class blogger. Two kids were the official class bloggers and did a post every week. In addition, every week there was a special "guest blogger" which rotated around the class. The guest would describe their job and how it fit into what everyone else was doing. It was a cool way for the kids to learn about community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea! I've been looking into the economy classroom and love the idea. I am a little gun shy because of everything going on for me personally in the fall. If I wasn't getting married and taking some days off I would dive into it. But a great thought for next years kiddos.

      Delete
  6. I like that in this post you reflected on actual ideas as to how you could take the ideas and make them work in your class! Great job. I have been thinking about that too and I agree that with elementary kids a good starting approach to begin with is a class blog which teaches them the skills which they then might to on to develop in their own blogs eventually.
    I also agree it is hard when teachers don't get the support or time that they deserve to make things happen. Nice job ;-)

    ReplyDelete